Are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly there yet? (Friday 26 Feb 2010)

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 3 THE Challenge






Off we went for our first overnight hike, which thankfully didn't mean we were actually hiking overnight, but it did mean adding bed rolls, food and cooking utensils to our packs. Provisions split between the group we arrived at Borland Saddle where we had to split into two groups to minimise visual pollution. Two points to make about this 'rule', firstly we didn't see another human for at least 24hours and secondly, in my hiking gear I could visually pollute the place walking on my own.

Team Pavol, of which I was in, brought up the rear. Carefully maintaining a gap of 50metres to the next group, well kind of. It was tough going and mainly up hill, but the views were at this point worth the effort. The details are pretty sketchy as I have since tried to block this day out of my life. After a few hours, with knees and ankles already groaning, we reached the tussocks. Dictionary definition: A tuft or clump of green grass or similar verdure, forming a small hillock. Sounds pleasant enough? Not really, ranging between hip and shoulder height, and ensuring you had no idea where you were putting your feet, and with not even a hint of a path, it was hard work with a few spills.

Some time later, finally out of the tussocks the fatigue was starting to show. The final part of the journey would have us take a wooded track back down to Green Lake where we would find our hut. What followed was climbing, jumping, clambering, slipping and sliding; over tree stumps, across streams..... up and bloody down for what seemed like hours.

I was finding it tough. Exhausted, my legs took on the demeanour of a newly born Bambi that had just undergone an extremely traumatic birth. I was moved to the front of the group behind teacher, where Bambi rapidly turned into Elvis, with legs a-shaking all the way back to camp. Well and truly shattered it would take some days for my thighs to forgive me.

The definition of a hike for me had now forever been revised.

Walk = Not far, probably just to the car or the corner shop, quite slow, no previous experience or equipment required.

Hike = Buy all the relevant gear: boots, waterproofs, zip off trousers (a must), then drive to somewhere nice on a sunny day. Walk (see above)slowly and relatively flatly, with perhaps a stile or two, for a few hours until you find the first hostelry where beer, pie and chips are consumed. Then a little walk later maybe some kind of pudding or a cream tea. Your legs feel like they've left the house for a bit but after a nice hot bath and a cuppa normal service is resumed.

*New Zealand Hike = Something reminiscent of an Indiana Jones movie, objective is to seriously maim one of the group or if very successful achieve some kind of gory death which involves being impaled on a walking pole or perhaps a cliff fall. Nothing short of air ambulance presence is deemed a true success.

The course description says: Terrain mostly tracks. Some slippery rough or uneven track surfaces and river crossings. Some off track hiking.....no previous hiking experience necessary. See, see, much more like my definition!

The hut was a welcome sight, we had dinner and played games, and watched a tremendous sunset over Green Lake. I was happy again....well until I realised that I was on washing up duty. The sink was outside and I was wearing flip flops to soothe my rapidly recovering feet. Looking back, I think I can hear the sand flies laughing as they flew in and devoured said feet. These particular ones, not getting many human visitors were the most persistent of the tour and seemed quite disgruntled that they hadn't been born as piranhas.

Long drop update: Much cleaner but unfortunately quite potent with a stench that permeated your clothes which created a lovely atmosphere back in the hut, particularly as this was to be the first truly communal sleepover with us all side by side on mattresses on a long bunk.

I was only now starting to get used to the mummifying effect of first getting into the sleeping bag liner followed by the sleeping bag itself. Being near one end, I prayed that I didn't roll off the mattress in my sleep and create some kind of domino effect crushing everyone on my level against the wall....after all we still had to carry all the equipment back out again....didn't want to add casualties to the backpack load. Thankfully I slept well, exhaustion does that for you, and woke to no sign of visible sleep carnage.

*Kaz if you're reading, I'm kidding. With the benefit of that lovely old thing called hindsight, this was a fantastic hike and I'm so pleased that I completed it (with your help). I am exaggerating for comedic value. Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment