Are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly there yet? (Friday 26 Feb 2010)

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Adrenaline junkie......turned potterer one more (2-6 March)




After the excitement of the jump, the remaining few days in Queenstown saw me revert back to type, much food, wine, beer and sleep was to be had, but hey, I deserved it didn't I? Marion's body clock was still in an interesting state too so we had a fairly relaxed time.

Cookie returned back at the end of the week to take us to her manor in Cromwell about 60km away, we visited the plot for her new house which was coming along nicely, hubby Craig was working busily away and we got the guided tour, which was fairly interesting as there were no actual walls, but we got the picture.

We had brought wine and beer to toast the new house. Cookie then declared that we should sit on the big dick and drink the wine. Marion and I looked at each other in exactly the same way we had a few years ago, when on returning back to my house one evening, I opened the front door and the cat ran out. It was a confused look that silently and jointly communicated the exact same question 'Have we got a cat?'. The silent and non-silent answer was no. Unfortunately that morning when returning back inside for an umbrella said cat had decided he was going to have a little look around and I'd locked him in. He had made himself more than comfortable in the spare room as I discovered later.

Anyway I digress, back to the big dick. Perhaps this was some kind of NZ ritual where when you build a new house you invite your friends to procreate with the man of the house in order to fill up all the rooms with babies? I knew there was to be a roof 'shout' where the local men come along, help put up the roof frame and are then rewarded with loads of beers. Perhaps this was a similar ritual and Cookie knowing that we may find this a little out of the ordinary, was going to ply us with wine first.... she is from Birmingham after all.

Thankfully the big dick she related to was actually to be a large expanse of decking - a big 'deck'. A combined Brummie / NZ accent is a strange and wonderful thing. This would also explain the confusion at the airport on arrival when the customs gentlemen had asked me if I had a 'tint'. I'd actually dyed my hair hastily that morning and really thought they trained their customs people well over there.

We had a good night out at a cidery and one of the two Cromwell pubs and after coffee the next morning at probably the most scenic coffee house in the world,(see pics) we set off back to Queenstown, taking in Arrowtown and more importantly the Amisfield Winery and Bistro where we had a fantastic 'Trust the chef menu' which consisted of eight courses. It was lovely and there could have been an extra couple of courses as I kept referring to it as the 'Taste the chef' menu. This was not my first faux pas of the holiday as to me, the stunning mountain range in Queenstown was not the Remarkables but the Incredibles - well I still think it works.

Both Queenstown and Cromwell were beautiful and we had a lovely relaxing (post jump) time. There was lots to do in Queenstown and I would like to go back and explore when I'm more awake. And as for Cromwell, I look forward to going back to sit on the big 'dick'.... once it is fully erected.

No comments:

Post a Comment