Are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly there yet? (Friday 26 Feb 2010)

Saturday, March 6, 2010

A taste of Christchurch (Sunday 28 Feb)




The journey, although long, was pretty uneventful. I started to watch 'The Damned United' when I got on the Emirates flight, first stop Dubai. It would take me a further 14 hours to complete the watching of this film as sleeping sickness took hold virtually 10 minutes in, and until we hit Christchurch my routine was pretty much sleep, eat, watch 15 minutes of the film, sleep...repeat to fade. Marion, who unfortunately didn't get much sleep on the plane did however manage to get some conversation out of me on leg three (Bangkok to Sydney), but this was aided by much wine.

We eventually arrived in Christchurch, which was to be our rest and recovery place for a full day and a half. Hotel SO was very funky (and cheap), but given the size of the rooms and the glass walled bathrooms, should only be shared by close friends.

We spent our time in Christchurch doing what we have become very good at over the years - pottering. This generally consists of coffee, beer/wine, a healthy portion of food every so often, a little bit of walking around - generally in circles - and a snooze (this can take place at any time and once requested by either party must take place immediately). The final pottering ingredient is the purchasing of a fridge magnet. Christchurch was to be no exception (bar the fridge magnet). There was however a magnet substitute - a case. My airport acquisitions, added to the removal of five of the layers of clothing meant that I had added three full carrier bags to my excess baggage.....travelling light was obviously not for me.

Christchurch was nice but lacked the wow factor,(surely I couldn't have missed it in the full 14 hours I was awake could I?) so let's move on shall we......

No comments:

Post a Comment